Tuesday 16 January 2018

all the way from Australia

I was initially puzzled this morning when the Systems Administrator handed me a small envelope with a cheerful stamp on it showing a field of sunflowers and the word Australia.  I don't know anybody in Australia.  The SA said that it must be my seeds.  I had forgotten about the Persian violets.

Inside was a tiny plastic envelope stapled to a sheet of paper.  On the paper were the instructions.

Growing method

For sowing seeds, the soil should be loose and well airy.

Seeds are planted in early spring.  At the bottom of the pot should be the drainage and the soil is constantly maintained in a wet state.

Fertilizers are added to the soil beforehand.  Seeds are sown evenly, then lightly is sprinkled with sand and covered with a glass bulb, or plastic film.

The temperature is kept around 20 degrees Celsius before the appearance sprouts.  You need to air regularly shoots for fresh air supply.  As soon as the first shoots appear, you need provide a constant light for 10-12 hours per day.

Seedlings dive into separate containers after germination.  Seedlings pinch out after a while, when it take root in the new location.

Diseases and pests

Persian violet is often affected spider mites, aphids, Quadraspidiotus perniciosus.

If you a flower too often is watering, the roots will begin to rot.  Insufficient watering and dry land, leads to drying and lethargy of leaves and flowers.

The seeds themselves are absolutely tiny.

At the top of their letterhead the vendors thank me for supporting their small business.  I think it is wonderful to be able to buy seeds of something that I want and nobody in the UK bothers to stock, all the way from Australia.  English is clearly not their first language, but the instructions make perfect sense.  In fact, they are detailed and precise when you look past the language barrier.  It would save a lot of time if my seedlings would dive into separate containers after germination, instead of my having to prick them out, but the phrase 'lethargy of leaves and flowers' to describe a plant suffering from water stress is brilliant.  I wish I'd thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment