Thursday 27 January 2011

potholes

The revival of the wind turbine was a brief affair.  It has stopped again.  There is a brisk (and chilly) wind blowing, and I should have thought the country could do with all the power it could get.  The thermometer in my car believes it is 3 degrees C.

Things around here are looking pretty bashed up by the winter.  As well as lots of flattened road signs hit by drivers in the snow, there are a phenomenal quantity of pot holes in the roads, and some burst water mains.  Water is flowing across the surface of the main road on what is already a nasty bend and dip, so that will be an accident waiting to happen the next time there's an overnight freeze.  I hit a pothole in one of the lanes taking bags of sheep's sorrel and other weeds not fit for the compost heap to the dump.  By the next day I had a flat tyre, which flattened again when reinflated, so now have a new tyre.  That's forty-six quid I would rather have spent on something more interesting.  I now crawl along the lanes with extra vigilance, eyes semi glued to the surface of the road, which is not ideal.  I'm not sure that sticking to the main roads is any better, as those have holes as well and I'll be travelling faster when I hit them.  The lanes on the farm are quite bad.  Our neighbouring farmer is very good about doing his bit, but we will have to do the final stretch to our house.  If only we didn't both have colds.

No comments:

Post a Comment