Wednesday 26 January 2011

mouse attack

Going out to my greenhouse to check the watering I found that mice had been on the attack, eating the leaves off emerging Scilla siberica that were growing on in pots.  This is extremely dull of them.  I went to the shed in search of rodenticide and found that something had eaten the bait stored away on a shelf straight out of the packet.  I don't like using poison, but don't get on with mechanical traps.  We had an infestation of rats under the shed a while back, and they used to take the bait from the trap without triggering it, while I nearly lost my fingers a couple of times setting it.  Poison used strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions seems the least bad option.

Rodents in greenhouses can be a serious nuisance.  They finished off two successive sowings of broad beans a couple of years ago in the little greenhouse, but this is the first time I've had problems with them in the main one.  I don't know that they particularly like Scilla.  It looks more as though they are starting at one end and working their way along.  Luckily they haven't got to the Fritillaria persica 'Ivory Bells' yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment