Sunday 2 January 2011

if you open they will come (not)

The owners of the plant centre where I work decided to open today, which suited me.  I didn't expect we'd get lots of customers, but I thought some people might want to get out of the house and look at plants after the Christmas and New Year festivities, or have made New Year's resolutions to get to grips with their gardens.  And it was a nice day.  OK, there was a flurry of snow first thing, but after that it was dry and quite sunny and it must have got up to at least three degrees C.  Practically nobody came.  In the summer on a warm day customers say to me 'what a marvellous place to work, I'd love to have your job', but where are they now?  Come Easter they'll be back, and the place will be heaving until the end of June.  The trouble is, the English are such a nation of fair-weather gardeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment