Monday 14 March 2011

home alone

I was nearly late to work for the rather bizarre reason that I couldn't open the pophole of the chicken house.  It is a sliding door, and last night's rain followed by overnight frost had stuck it fast in its casing.  The habit of the current generation of chickens of scuffing sawdust into the track doesn't help.  After pushing it very hard, to no avail, I eventually gave it a couple of sharp taps with a lump of wood and it shifted.  At work we put our stocks of Prunus mume 'Beni-chidori' by the entrance to the plant centre, and by the end of the day two of those had shifted as well.

I feel rather exposed on the IT front with my Systems Administrator at Cheltenham for the week.  I am not the most tech savvy person, and have one remedy for the laptop not working, which is to try rebooting, and one remedy for the network not working, which is to switch the modem off and switch it back on again.  If anything more complicated than that goes wrong then Cardunculus will fall silent until Saturday evening.  In theory it is possible to access Blogspot to update the blog from an internet enabled phone, but I don't have one of those.  I am beginning to think I would rather like one, not to access Facebook (not on it) or download music (why exactly would I want to listen to music on my telephone?  I seem to be missing something here), but for some of the nerdier apps, especially the UK geology one, and to be able to check the opening times of gardens and galleries and look up random information on Wikipedia while wandering about.

Looking on the bright side, I can crack open a tin of anchovies, and listen to Schubert string quartets and the whole of Dido and Aeneas in the evenings (the Systems Administrator prefers a full orchestra, preferably playing something by Sibelius or one of the Russians, and is allergic to fish).

No comments:

Post a Comment