Wednesday 30 March 2011

beware the bouncing bunnies

The trail camera has provided some reassurance that my efforts repairing the wire around the back garden have reduced the inflow of plant-eating wildlife.  Over the six nights to yesterday evening it recorded cats and assorted birds, but no rabbits or muntjac.  We'll keep monitoring the nocturnal visitors periodically, but in the meantime I might risk planting out the pots of small bulbs that are supposed to be going out there.

It obviously pays to have patience and leave the camera in the same place for several nights, to build up a picture of what exactly is going on.  We had it trained up the side of the wood, where I knew rabbits were coming in to the meadow from their droppings.  Having repaired all the holes in the fence I could see this was a bit of a puzzle.  For several nights all we got was random photos of rabbits hopping about, but finally we got action footage of one getting in. You can see how it did it here.

Reader, it jumped.  I have measured that fence, and it is fully 60cm high.  I am working my way round the boundary adding a second strand of wire between the tops of the fence posts, and filling in with coarse gauge galvanised netting.  Anyone with a country garden, be afraid.  Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment