Wednesday 1 November 2017

keeping up with myself

I read through all the papers for this afternoon's music society committee meeting this morning, and it was only when I double-checked the agenda at about half past three that I noticed the start time was given as 5.30 pm.  I'd been convinced it started at five, since that's what I've had written in my diary since the meeting was fixed in August at the end of the last committee meeting, and rang the Chairman to check that we really were going for the later start.  Arriving half an hour late to a meeting at which you are supposed to be taking the minutes is no good to man nor beast.

Everything happening half an hour later than I expected threw my plans for supper, and the Systems Administrator ended up being fed later than I'd intended.  The SA said it didn't matter, but wandered into the kitchen with a slightly forlorn expression at half past eight asking how things were going.  Originally I'd thought I might manage to make tonight's supper when I was cooking yesterday evening, then all I'd have had to do was reheat it, but in practice I didn't manage to do anything more than cook the beans for the black eyed bean and mushroom curry.

Meanwhile I have still not quite finished cutting the top of the hedge.  The postman did not come until nearly midday, so I didn't return to the task until the afternoon, and then didn't quite manage two hours before my neck got stiff.  One more push should do it.  I have told myself that rather a lot of times.  But I did plant up the pot by the front door with the violas I bought the other day.  I have gone for 'Honey Bee' again, because it did so well last year.  The flowers are a warm mustard-green, a combination which, as the Daily Telegraph said when they reviewed 'Honey Bee' in 2013, is a lot nicer than it sounds.

Addendum  If you put hot custard on the remains of a week old Victoria sandwich it makes a remarkably convincing sponge pudding.  This is what I did this evening with the last bit of cake left over from the funeral tea.  It seemed a pity to waste it.  My original theory was to use it as the basis of a trifle, but I did not have any cream, and the SA managed to convince me that custard would be sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment