Tuesday 14 November 2017

all in a day's work

I was taken aback when I went to let the chickens out of their house and it was drizzling.  I hadn't expected this morning to be wet.  But by mid morning the sun was shining and I cracked on with weeding the gravel and planting my seed raised Dianthus and Limonium.  Just one more day's work, one final push, and I'll finish.  I feel sure I will.

As I was pulling up sheep's sorrel and dibbling planting holes I thought I heard the phone ring, and trotted into the house in time to pick it up before it went to answerphone.  It turned out to be somebody from one of the local branches of the WI, who wondered if I might be free on Thursday evening?  Their booked speaker now couldn't make it, and she was looking for a replacement act, urgently.  I wasn't free, but though I could rearrange things so that I would be.  As we talked she disclosed that her mother had died the previous week.  While it wasn't a total shock at the age of ninety-four, still there was a lot to sort out and she said she could have done without having to find a new speaker on top of everything else.  I thought that maybe somebody else on her committee should have stepped in to sort it out, but who am I to dictate how the WI runs its affairs?  Apparently I come highly recommended.

The day's gardening was cut short because I had a garden club meeting of my new committee, preceded by a trip to the bank to arrange the change of signatories and new address for statements.  The bank meeting went remarkably smoothly compared to some of my efforts to get extra signatories added to the beekeepers' bank account.  In fact, one of them resigned from the committee before I ever managed to get them put on.  The committee meeting was not too long, cordial, and efficient, which is how I like meetings to be, and we had smoked salmon sandwiches and Victoria sponge with cream as well as jam in the middle, but apparently it was a special tea because it was somebody's birthday, and normally there is only cake, not necessarily with cream.  Even so it looks like my sort of committee.  The only downside is that as incoming Treasurer I have inherited the cardboard box containing the club's financial records plus a cruet set, two pieces missing since the AGM supper, which will have to find lodging in the spare bedroom.  Also walking to my car in the dark through the narrow gap between two other cars drawn up in front of the outgoing Treasurer's door I failed to see that one of them had a towing bar fitted until I hit it, quite hard, with my knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment