Wednesday 23 March 2016

more rabbits

The rabbits are breeding in the back garden.  Perhaps not like rabbits, for we have seen only one teeny tiny one sitting at the top of the rose bank.  The Systems Administrator tried to take a shot at it yesterday morning but it sensed the window opening and darted back under cover, and tried again this morning but missed.  Our Ginger spotted it yesterday at tea time before we did, as we all sat in the conservatory, and went and stared meaningfully at it, but could not work out how to cross the lawn without it noticing.

There are still adults skulking about.  There would be really, to produce babies.  I got the Systems Administrator to show me how to set up the motion sensor camera, since I'm the one who most wants to know what the rabbits are doing in the garden and it seemed easier for me to monitor them myself than keep nagging the SA to do it.  Two nights ago I established that there are a vast quantity of rabbits by the wildlife pond in the meadow, and last night I got single shot of a solitary bunny in the bottom far corner of the back garden.

I have given up with the traps.  In two months of trying I didn't catch a single rabbit, but did catch a blackbird.  That's not good.  I like blackbirds.  I'm afraid I can't expect much of Our Ginger, who is getting quite old and likes to spend his evenings on the hearthrug in front of the stove, not marauding around the garden.  Instead I have bought a fresh bottle of Grazers, this time one large enough to treat a hectare, and spent an hour this afternoon spraying it on the borders.  It did seem to reduce the amount of damage last year.  It is a bore, though, what with the time, and the expense, and the risk of missing some precious plant out and possibility the Grazers might not put the rabbits off anyway.  It doesn't work on bark either, only foliage, and the wretched creatures have been gnawing the bases of the Romneya stems.

No comments:

Post a Comment