Friday 20 February 2015

defeated by technology

This is probably going to be a short blog post, because most of our technology seems to be scarcely working.  I got home from a very nice day out in London to find that broadband was down.  Thank you, BT.  I knew it wasn't working earlier because the Systems Administrator told me when I rang from Liverpool Street to say what train I was on.  I was apparently lucky to get through, as the land line was out as well for most of the day.

I am connected to the web via a 3 Mobile portable modem, though the SA warned me the speed of that has been patchy through the day.  I am not sure whether my laptop's glacial speed just now when I tried to look at my emails and the Daily Telegraph website was down to the dongle, or the laptop.  After I'd closed Chrome down and it refused to let me open it again I resorted to rebooting the machine, and we are now tripping along a little faster, but I don't have much confidence in the proceedings.

The SA has managed to negotiate BT's online fault reporting system, presumably using the powers of 3 Mobile, and received an automated reply saying that they have a fault on their system and it should be fixed by Wednesday.  Thanks, guys.  The laptop has chosen this moment after being switched off and incommunicado for the entire day to want to download all sorts of updates, over the dodgy dongle.  Thanks but no thanks.

So while I have been to Dulwich and the National Portrait Gallery, including a special detour via a Sutton train from Blackfriars because London Bridge is pretty much closed for the next year, I think I will tell you about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment