Friday 11 July 2014

a busy day

Another late post, and this time for the reason that I simply forgot.  I went to the supermarket, and then I washed the kitchen floor, and boiled up some cocoa in milk to make chocolate ice cream later, and made a lemon pudding to use the other half of the tin of condensed milk left over from the ice cream.  Then after lunch I got on with jobs in the greenhouse, then made up the floats for tomorrow's beekeeping stand at the Tendring Show, and finished making the ice cream, then cooked supper, and we watched the Titfield Thunderbolt.  About half way through cooking the supper I remembered that I hadn't blogged yet, but there wasn't a moment to do it.  Until now.

So.  The supermarket was Tesco, not because I suddenly like it better there than Waitrose, but because it has branch of Timpson and I had some dry cleaning.  The ice cream was malted chocolate, and the bit I licked off the paddle when I was clearing up at the end tasted very nice, though I forgot to put the vanilla in.  The malted taste is obtained by stirring a great deal of Horlicks powder into the mixture just before freezing.

Washing the kitchen floor is not very interesting, and nor is vacuum cleaning, so we will draw a discreet veil over that part of the proceedings.

The greenhouse is beginning to look positively tidy.  I even swept the floor.  All the pots have been weeded, and there is just a little bit of potting on to do, and a few last things to be dosed with Provado.  A blackbird managed to get in while I was temporarily out, and flew about in a panic when it saw me, but after failing to persuade it to escape by dint of walking around the outside and tapping on the glass furthest from the door, I hard heartedly went in, and it flew round me and out, crashing into a few plants on the way.

The floats are intended to be tailored to the price points for each activity.  Last year I made them all the same, which has the merit of simplicity, but there is no point in counting out lots of coppers for change from the sale of honey and orange squash priced in units of fifty pence, and counting them again the next day.  I will tell you more about the show tomorrow.

Supper was an Antonio Carluccio pasta recipe, with onion, garlic, courgette and tomato simmered in olive oil and butter, seasoned with basil and served with plenty of pecorino cheese.  I chose the recipe on the basis that I had half a pot of basil and a courgette which needed eating up.  I liked it very much, though I suspect the Systems Administrator would have liked something with some sort of meat in it more.  My frugal attempts to use up the oddments in fridge was undermined by Tesco's overly generous idea of how much fresh tagliatelle two people can eat, since while I bought the smallest packet they had, which said it would serve two people, there would have been enough for three if not four.  I must remember to put the rest in the fridge before going to bed, as the chickens will eat it.  The lemon pudding was so retro it was a time warp back to the mid 70s.

The Titfield Thunderbolt is a splendid film.

Addendum  Our Ginger started the day in disgrace, because he tried to nest behind the SA's bean to cup coffee machine while I was having my breakfast.  I didn't think he should make a habit of sleeping there, and by time I'd removed him and put the things back I had to move to get at him, he was lapping the milk out of my muesli.  I didn't fancy it after that.




No comments:

Post a Comment