Saturday 27 August 2011

here's one I made before the programme

Another blog entry I wrote the day before.  I do try not to do that, but I’m at work today (tomorrow) and then going to a party.  Two of our friends are celebrating their fortieth wedding anniversary, and as they believe that a proper party involves good grub that you sit down to eat, and the celebrations are due to be held in a gazebo in the garden, weather permitting, the party starts at 6.30pm and isn’t one you would want to amble in an hour and a half late for.

I’m afraid it will be another quiet day at work.  The weather has not been conducive to gardening, and even if it doesn’t actually rain tomorrow, I don’t suppose that lots of people have spent this last week getting their borders ready for planting.  I certainly haven’t.  The relative humidity outside today was 90%, which given that the temperature was just 17 degrees means that it would only take a 2 degree drop in temperature for fog to form.  (The 2 degrees is derived by subtracting 90 from 100 and calculating the resulting 10% of 17 degrees, which gives you 1.7 degrees, rounded to two for ease of expression.  I don’t understand it either, but that’s what the Systems Administrator says).  We have a new sensor for temperature and humidity for the weather station, which seems to be quite reliable, or at least consistent with other stations you can check on the net, and what our senses are telling us.  The old sensor gave some very peculiar readings, and on being brought into the house was found to be full of damp and earwigs.  It has worked better since we dried it off and removed the earwigs.

Last weekend the manager left a strict note for the staff to check the level in the water tank, as he did not want to come in again on Monday morning to an empty tank.  I should say it’s a 50:50 chance he has done it again.  It would be a good idea if he showed us how to switch the pump on in order to take water from the pond if needed, as nobody has ever told me, so if I discovered the tank were dangerously low the best I could do about it would be to connect the ditsy little hose from the kitchen tap, which would take all day to fill.  I’d better try and remember to ask on Monday.

I am hoping I will find my Wellingtons in the tennis hut, as they aren’t in the hall or my car.  I try to keep tabs of my stuff, and not leave things behind at work, but I seem to have slipped up.  Unless they are in the garage?  I’m rather reluctant to open the garage door to admit some light so that I can look for them given that it’s raining.  Plus it is 90% relative humidity and I don’t have the energy to start playing ‘ou sont les lunettes de papa?’ with my boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment