Tuesday 17 May 2011

first (and maybe only) honey of the year

The Porter bee escape worked.  There were a few bees left in the super with the honey, and I was able to brush them gently off the combs and remove the super.  If there are quite a lot of bees left then I remove each comb individually, shake it briskly to get the bees off, and move it to a second super in a wheelbarrow parked a little way away.  I had taken a spare box with me this time, just in case, but didn't need it.  Three stray bees ended up in the kitchen.  I knew there were bees somewhere in the super from the sound, and once disturbed they fly to the window, where it is easy to place a glass over them and slide an envelope over the mouth of the tumbler to trap them.  Released outside they fly off immediately.

The honey was ready, no drips at all, and the bees were just beginning to cap it.  I got a full food bucket full, and a bit left over.  I don't know what weight that is, as I can't remember the capacity of the bucket.  It took almost exactly half an hour to spin the frames, the duration of R4's Saving Species, and longer than that to filter the honey to get the stray bits of wax out, and wash the extractor afterwards.  I washed the kitchen floor before I started, and all in all there wasn't much of the morning left over by the time I'd finished.  Home honey production is definitely a hobby and not a commercial proposition.  My extractor holds two frames at a time.  I spin them counting to sixty rotations, then sixty turning the handle the opposite way, then reverse the frames so the opposite side is facing outwards, and repeat the process.  People write about the sound of the patter of honey on the sides of the extractor, but with mine all I can hear is the mechanism squeaking.  It is helpful to spin frames of equal weight together to balance the thing, otherwise it judders and tries to walk across the floor.  The honey was delicious, the colour of pale straw.  I'll leave it for a day, to allow any fine debris to float to the surface, then use a trick taught to me by a friend, which is to lay clingfilm across the surface and remove it again.  I lose a little honey that way, but it collects any bits.  And that's it.  I won't heat it, unless I have to very slightly to soften it if it sets in the bucket before I've put all of it in jars.  Honey should be kept in an air-tight container for medium term storage, to keep atmospheric moisture out, and a big plastic food bucket with snap lid is better than keeping it in individual jars, with their screw lids and higher surface to volume ratio.  I've learnt not to bottle more than I expect to give away or sell in the near future.

Going up to the bees I was shocked at how the planting in the meadow had collapsed.  My poor little primroses, bought from the farm shop this spring, and seed-raised salvias, planted last autumn, and many others, were dangerously shrivelled, and some of the more recent shrub plantings were badly scrunched.  As the drought continues, 'recent' covers a longer span of time, until by now it can mean anything planted in the past two years.  I spent the afternoon working up there, weeding, and moving the hose every few minutes.  It wasn't where I'd planned to spend the rest of the day, but it is getting to the point where the location of each day working outside is going to be driven by which things most urgently need watering.  Plants here can take years to get their roots down, then suddenly take off when finally fully established.  An Aesculus indica, which made only sedate growth for several seasons after going into the ground, has shot up prodigously in the past year and suddenly looks like a proper young tree.  The tough bit is getting them to that stage.  This garden is designed not to need irrigation, but in weather like this it's a case of water it or lose it, when it comes to young plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment