Wednesday 28 March 2018

mend or replace

The cats have demolished their cat flap again.  Last time the Systems Administrator managed to cobble it back together, but I think that this time we are going to have to get a new one.  They do not greatly approve of having a cat sized hole in the side of the house, even though a strange cat could theoretically have come through the flap anyway.  They certainly don't approve of the rain.  Mr Cool spent a hunk of the morning sitting disconsolately on the door mat, glowering out through the glass at the widening puddles.

Meanwhile, the volume control of my shower has gone on the blink, again.  It failed before, and the SA managed to coax it back into life, so we will have to see if he can repeat the trick or if we are going to have to buy a new one.

Mr Fidget has lost a mouse somewhere.  At least, I am pretty sure it is Mr Fidget's mouse.  It seems to have been in the paper recycling basket at one point during the night, as by morning the cats had pushed the basket clear of the wall and were standing around it, surrounded by scattered envelopes and old Whiskas boxes.  By lunchtime action had moved to the other end of the house, with all three black and white kitties staring into the cupboard under the stairs, one of those glory holes full of discarded electronic equipment needing to be sorted out if only one had a spare day.  Actually I would like the space to put my father's records in, so it probably will get tidied sooner or later.  By mid afternoon Mr Fluffy had lost interest in the chase and retreated back to the sofa, but Mr Fidget was still on guard.

Our Ginger is too old and sensible for these capers.

I collected my new seeing glasses and my new half price for the second pair reading glasses from the optician.  The new seeing glasses are an improvement on the old pair.  I had to admit, sat in the optician's chair, that my left eye had got even more short sighted, and the world through the new glasses looks marvelously crisp and clear even on a very soggy day.  The fact that I upgraded to a top-of-the-range varifocal lens once I'd seen how I got on with them probably helped too.  I do not like the new frames as much as the old, but they were the best the children's section could offer.  I don't suppose anybody else will even notice the difference, only I think they are a bit too rectangular.  The optician wanted me to get prescription sun glasses rather than reading glasses, when she heard that I did a lot of gardening.  I protested that I always wore a hat between April and October, and that I hated the way sunglasses changed the colour of everything.  It was to prevent cataracts, she said sternly, UV light exposure gives you cataracts which was why people in southern Europe develop them at a younger age than we do.  It was especially important as you got older.  I continued to resist.  The UK is as far north as Newfoundland, for goodness sake.  I do not believe there is any public health directive that over fifties should don UV protective eyewear every time they go outside the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment