Friday 22 January 2016

a wet day

It rained most of the day, and I remained tucked up in front of the Aga reading about Ninfa: The Most Romantic Garden in the World.  What, after all, is the point of having a pile of unread books on the table next to your bed if you don't spend a wet day reading one of them?  I am not sure that when it was with Staffordshire library and information services anybody did read it, since once I got beyond the library stamps the pages were absolutely pristine.

Chiltern Seeds emailed offering a mood boosting twenty per cent off all orders this weekend, as this is 'a time when some of us struggle with January Blues, and mental health problems such as anxiety and depression are exacerbated', which seemed to me to be straying into deep waters for a seed company.  I emailed back that having placed my spring 2016 order with them yesterday my mood had not been boosted by finding that I could have had twenty per cent off if I'd waited until tomorrow.  I got an auto reply saying that at this busy time of year they were struggling to deal with the volume of correspondence but were making every effort to respond to all emails as quickly as possible, and could I allow three working days.

Meanwhile, Presto Classical is offering up to forty per cent off all Alfred Brendel recordings, to celebrate his eighty-fifth birthday, which is a tempting thought.  I've had my eye on his piano sonata number 20 in A major, D959 for ages.  And Mr Fothergill's will give me up to twenty per cent off seeds plus a FREE PACKET of tomato seeds.  2016 has been declared the Year of the Tomato, didn't you know.  I didn't.

No wonder they were saying on the Today programme this morning that there was price deflation in goods.  It's enough to make one not want to buy anything unless it's on special offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment