Saturday 15 August 2015

domestic day

This is going to be a short blog post, just to keep up the record of daily posting, holidays excepted.  We had friends to supper, and I didn't get round to writing anything before they arrived, and now they've gone it's quite late, and I want to go to bed.

I haven't really done anything today to blog about.  I cleaned the kitchen, but if there were anything more tedious than cleaning a kitchen it would be reading about other people cleaning their kitchens.  Or at least, if it was a real horror story about cleaning it might be ghoulishly entertaining.  Pizza boxes stacked to the ceiling, new and unknown species of penicillin growing in the sink, that sort of thing.  Mine was more of a quick swab around the floor and a routine wipe across the cupboard fronts with a fresh dishcloth.  Move along, nothing to see here.

I made another cherry tart, and this time thickened the cherry filling with a little cornflour at once, instead of messing around trying to boil the juice off the cherries.  You will find the full recipe in Dan Leperd's baking book.  The fact that I made it again and this time chose to offer it to guests tells you that I think it's a good one.  It is less trouble than making Bakewell tart, because there isn't a pastry layer under the sponge.

And that was about it, until supper time.  I wish the weather would freshen up and it would not be so humid.  I hope that the fierce prickling in my sinuses is not the start of a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment