Sunday 7 December 2014

changing times

I was listening to Radio 4 just now as I did a bit of washing up, and heard the first half of a documentary on Jeremy Thorpe, held back from broadcast until after his death.  Some of the material had been held back for forty years, and as I listened I began to feel as though I must be very old, that social norms could have changed so much in my lifetime.

I met Jeremy Thorpe as a child, because he was the MP for a north Devon seat as well as Liberal party leader, and my parents were liberal activists in east Devon.  He was as charismatic as the programme said, for I can still remember him once visiting our house, and his thin-faced intensity and burning sense of intelligence and purpose.  I don't remember the trial being greatly discussed at home.  That was in 1979, so I was in the sixth form by then.

But what jolted me as I scrubbed at this lunchtime's omelet pan was the reminder that within my lifetime, by the time I was at secondary school, the revelation that somebody was a homosexual would be enough to destroy their political career, with the fact that an Eton and Oxford educated political leader had had a relationship across the class divide running it a close second for scandal. Not in the pages of EM Forster some time in the dying days of Edwardian England*, but in my lifetime.  Barnstaple police kept a secret dossier on Jeremy Thorpe's private life under lock and key.

My mind boggled, absolutely boggled. and then I began to feel very thankful that, even though it meant I must be getting old, things had changed so much.  I thought of the gay couples I know, who come along to the beekeepers events and the music society, and how nobody gives a stuffed monkey.  It is so absolutely, completely, blisteringly normal when you see Paul to enquire where Lee is, and no-one bats an eyelid as they write Christmas cards or party invitations with two same-sex names on them.  And thank goodness for that.

There again, it makes me feel very old to remember that in the year we spent in the States when I was a baby, the Civil Rights Act had not yet been passed.  In the photographs of me wearing a powder blue coat and matching bonnet, or smearing ice cream joyously over my face, that baby was living in a country that did not give the same rights under the law to black people.  It's just a pity that fifty years on, black people in the United States are still regularly being shot, beaten, and suffocated to death by their own police.

*There again, Forster wrote Maurice in 1913-14, but it was only published in 1971 after his death.  In my lifetime.  He did not believe it was publishable before then.

Addendum  I am indebted to Wikipedia for that last snippet, and have just given them my five pounds to help keep them going and ad free for another year.  Please do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment