Thursday 4 July 2013

penny pinching

The quotation for the new window arrived the other day.  Or at least, a quotation for a replacement double-glazing unit arrived.  That is not what we had decided to go for, and so it was a waste of somebody’s time calculating it for us, but still it was interesting to see how much it would cost, the answer being almost two grand.  That would be an annual capital cost on a straight line depreciation basis of almost four hundred pounds, if it lasted for the five years that Kent Blaxill would guarantee it for, or two hundred if we got ten years out of it, which is about how long the old one lasted.  That’s too much.  Forget savings on your energy bill, I don’t believe that having a double glazed window instead of a laminated one in the sitting room would save us two hundred pounds a year on heating.  We don’t even use that room in the colder months, except at Christmas, and on weekends when we’ve got people round or are suffering from cabin fever living in the study.

Meanwhile, the papers today are carrying the story of how much energy we waste in our homes on heating water, based on an investigation carried out by The Energy Saving Trust.  According to the Guardian, the Trust has found that an average shower lasts for seven and a half minutes, and Britain’s households could save £215 million per annum by shortening their showers by a minute.  Or £125 million if you believe the Telegraph.  Overfilling our kettles costs us an additional £68 million.

£215 million, or even £125 million, is a large amount of money.  It would pay for a lot of hip operations.  It doesn’t sound quite so big when you express it in terms of annual cost per household, though.  There were 26.4 million households in the UK in 2012 according to the Office for National Statistics, so that comes to £8.14 (or £4.73) per household.  Including all those over-filled kettles we can say that the Energy Saving Trust’s survey has shown that households on average waster around a tenner a year on taking over-long showers and boiling too much water in their kettles.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a clue how long I spend in the shower, and I have no intention of timing myself.  I do turn the water off while I soap, just as I turn the cold tap off while I’m brushing my teeth, which must save a bit, but it isn’t at the top of my list of things to worry about, in an environmental or financial sense.  It isn’t even in my list of the top fifty things to worry about.  I enjoy taking showers.  I find my morning shower calming and invigorating in equal measure.  I use the time to wake up, and consider what the day ahead has in store for me, or I for it.  I have absolutely no intention of worrying about whether I spend a five minutes, six and a half minutes or even seven and a half minutes in there with the water running, so that I can save approximately 1.1 pence per shower (based on £8.14 divided by 365 times two showers.  That is a very approximate calculation).  Nor do I intend to start sluicing pieces of lime scale from the bottom of the kettle into my tea, or finding I haven’t boiled enough water to cook the pasta, in my efforts to only heat the absolute minimum amount of water necessary for whatever it is I have in mind each time I boil a kettle.  I don’t fill the kettle right up unless I know I need a whole kettleful of water, because apart from anything else it takes longer to boil, and that’s as far as I intend to go in the kettle-energy saving department.


When we needed a new boiler, we bought the most energy efficient boiler we could get.  The increase in the price of petrol and diesel has brought about a shift among UK drivers towards buying smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles.  People are not daft.  Of course we alter our behaviour when conditions change, but most of us prefer to make changes that are simple to apply, and yield significant savings.  Choosing to cruise at 55 miles per hour instead of 75 on a motorway makes a big difference to fuel consumption.  Agonising about whether you have spent an extra minute in the shower doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment