Monday 21 May 2012

work and play

Another Monday, another folk club night.  I'm taking my dad to hear Brendan Powers and Tim Edey.  They won a prize in this year's R2 Folk Awards, though that won't have swayed my dad, who doesn't listen to the radio, but he likes them anyway.  There'll be enough time after getting back from work to scrape the compost from under my fingernails and grab something to eat, but not much more than that, before it's time to go out again.  We are going to take the risk of not arriving at the Arts Centre until about quarter past eight, so we'll have less time to endure sitting on the hard chairs listening to whatever dodgy local support act the organisers have found for us.

I shouldn't be horrid about support acts.  After all, everybody has to start off somewhere.  I just wish they could get together and found a new singers club, where they could practice on each other, instead of tagging themselves on to the coat tails of what are (in folk terms) international superstars.  Otherwise it's too much like having got a ticket to hear Mitsuko Uchida live, and finding that as the warm-up you have to listen to this really keen girl from the local sixth form college, whose just passed grade six piano.

If I am feeling keen, and awake, maybe I will tell you more about the harmonica and squeeze box duo when I get back.  If not then that's it, folks.  That's the trouble with a live blog.  I couldn't even have written today's entry last night, because I was busy writing yesterday's, while the poor Systems Administrator sat patiently, occasionally asking plaintively if it was time to go and start cooking the supper yet.  Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment