Friday 6 April 2012

musings from the back garden

Maybe it was over-optimistic to get the metal table and chairs out of the garage and put them back in the Italian garden, since the day got greyer and colder as it went on.  Still, it was pleasant to be outside.  I shoe-horned a second Magnolia stellata into the ditch bed, a variety called 'Chrysanthemiflora' with beautiful double pink flowers that do resemble a chrysanthemum slightly, if you use your imagination.  The label says it is slow growing, and I hope it can find itself a little airspace without overwhelming the Sarcococca confusa next to it.  I also planted an Erythronium bought from Avon bulbs, called E. dens canis 'Old Aberdeen', which sounded a treasure in their catalogue, and is a very small and meek looking little thing seen in the flesh.  Perhaps it will bulk up and make more of an impact given time, but as it emerged in its pot in the greenhouse where I started it off, it did give me a rather Is that all there is? moment.

Goose grass is coming up, though not as much as some years, for which I presume I can thank the drought, and I pulled out half a bucket full of weeds.  Weed the ditch bed is not a task that is ever finished for the moment so that it can be ticked off the list, more of an ongoing project.  Aiming to remove half a tub of weeds each time I go near it is probably the best approach.  Looking at the soil, I realised that I always start applying leaf mould from the same end, and have always run out before getting to the other end, so next winter I must remember to start the process in reverse.  The Anemone blanda are looking pretty, stemmier than the ones brought on in pots that we sell at work, and all the better for it.  A dainty  pink flowered anemone relative, called Anemonella thalictroides, that I bought on impulse once at Beth Chatto has come up once again, and is gently spreading.  When I first got it, it looked so delicate I wasn't sure that wasn't £3.60 straight down the drain, but it is proving a durable little thing.  Primula 'Wanda' seems to have disappeared completely, which is a shame, and a tomato red flowered version.

The long-established clump of Dicentra spectabilis was drooping alarmingly.  I poured a can of water on it, while feeling slightly doubtful that the cause could really be drought, given we had that heavy rain only a couple of days ago.  I wonder whether some wretched rodent has taken up residence underneath and undermined the roots.  Or perhaps they are not infinitely long lived, and it is getting old.  It has given me a seedling.  It isn't a prolific spreader, but given how large it grows that's not a bad thing.

I have declared a truce for now in the mouse trapping campaign by the hellebores.  I felt bad each time I removed a small body from the trap, but what really put me off was that one of the traps disappeared from inside the drainpipe.  That means that some wretched animal has crawled off with the trap on its leg or tail, to die unpleasantly later.  Killing pests cleanly is one thing, torturing them another.  Of course I don't suppose that dying of rodenticide is a good death either, and I would still use that if we had rats under the shed.  Such is the inconsistency of human nature, but one does one's best.

I swept and tidied the conservatory, which is looking nice, but now it's too cold to sit down there.  The Systems Administrator has lured the chickens back into their run, and I have four minutes left to post this and clean my fingernails before the News Quiz at half past six.  Have a nice Easter weekend, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment