Friday 10 February 2012

listen again

We thought we'd settle down last night and listen to the Radio 2 Folk Awards via Listen Again.  Last year we watched them live on the telly, and we used to listen on the night on R2, but this week I had a music society meeting on Wednesday evening, and the Systems Administrator had disappeared to Ludlow in search of racing (there wasn't any, and English Heritage had closed the castle because of the snow, and the church was locked.  Who was the woman bigging up the UK as a tourist destination yesterday on R4 and saying that the weather was good for visiting attractions all year round?).  Anyway, we were going to listen to the awards.  I'd even managed to avoid finding out who won, apart from June Tabor getting a lifetime achievement award, which was broadcast on the Today Programme at 7.08 on Thursday morning (it is richly deserved as she is the best UK female traditional singer living, but why mention it on Today?  What with Syria, Egypt the US election, Greece, the rest of the Eurozone crisis, quantitative easing, UK health reforms, the UK company results season getting underway, not to mention the ruddy Olympics and the English football team manager, you'd think they'd have enough news and current affairs to keep them going.  And if they'd exhausted those topics they could always tell us something about what's going on in China, or Africa, or Russia, or Japan (never seem to hear about them nowadays), or Latin America (apart from Argentina's attitude towards Prince William going to the Falklands)  Sometimes I think that Today is dumbing down).

Anyway, we were going to listen to the Radio 2 Folk Awards on the telly on Listen Again.  Except that we couldn't, because our broadband download speed had dropped to nought point one something megabits per second.  I told you that any apologies I owed to BT were only muted, because their service is so crappy so often, even if it was not actually their fault that my computer kept falling off-line a couple of weeks ago.  It was only the download speed that was almost non-existent, the upload speed was fairly OK.  The Systems Administrator said that this had to be a BT fault, and it was good that it was so bad, because BT would have to mend it.  I checked this morning using the useful Broadband Speed Checker site and the download speed was up.  To 0.6 Mb/s.  It ought not to be under 2.0 Mb/s.  If the Today programme is short of material maybe they could give us an update on rural broadband provision.  That's 'rural' in the sense of villages around 65 miles as the crow flies from Charing Cross, not the outer Hebrides or Herefordshire.

The good news is that the Lucien Freud tickets turned up in yesterday's post.  There's nothing like giving up hope sometimes to make things happen.  Also a piece of rose thorn finally worked its way out of my knuckle.  I hadn't given up hope of that, since the swelling was getting ever more localised and focused into quite a small lump, instead of taking up my entire knuckle, and it looked as though things were developing.  It was a tiny piece of wood, no more than a couple of millimetres long, and it has taken my hand something over two months to expel it.  This was the second fragment of thorn, and I'm fairly sure it was the last.  My hand began to look calmer almost immediately, in a way it hasn't since the accident, which probably means it is finally free of foreign bodies.  I'm glad it's gone, since even I didn't really want an ugly lump on one knuckle that turned purple whenever my hands got cold.

The cats think it is too cold and wet to go out, and I can't blame them. I wouldn't want to walk around in melting snow in bare feet getting freezing slush on my tummy.  I don't even want to go out there in wellington boots, and have only been as far as the chicken house and the bird table, and to water the hellebores that are still sitting in their pots in the porch.  This morning the cats radiated fractious boredom, and now they have gone to sleep, the big tabby curled around my laptop on the kitchen table, and Our Ginger snoring on the worktop next to the Aga.  Later I shall have to evict them and wipe the table and the counter very carefully before making 24 helpings of apple crumble for the music society supper concert.  I told the chairman that I'd cleaned the kitchen in readiness, but she just smiled at me brightly and vaguely and said surely everybody had animals in their kitchens.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment