Sunday 25 December 2011

merry christmas, everyone




Merry Christmas, everybody.  I took the picture of the tree yesterday, as I needed the System's Administrator's help changing the image to a size that would fit on the blog.  It looks sparklier than that in real life, with the lights on, but the camera insisted I use the flash.  Formatting a page with a photo in it is a skill that will have to wait for another day.  I can't persuade any text to sit in that blank space up there.

Presently the SA will get up and Christmas Day will commence, but in the meantime, having woken first as I usually do I have given the cats and the chickens their breakfasts, as per usual, and am now frying a leftover portobello mushroom I found in the fridge.  It seemed a pity to waste it.  Newspaper columnists with space to fill have asked What to wear on Christmas Day, to which my answer is, given that I'll spend most of the day with cats sitting on me, something that I don't mind getting covered in cat hair seems a good idea.  Same jeans and cardigan as last week, then.

The mystery Christmas CD turns out to be an acoustic cover version of Slade's Merry Christmas, I think by Karine Polwart, but I didn't write that anywhere on the disc or the box.  We listened to Thea Gilmore's album Strange Communion a couple of times yesterday, and it is very good.  I bought it for Christmas last year, and since it is a Christmas album we haven't played it in the meantime.  One track is an extract from Louis Macneice's long poem Autumn Journal.  I didn't know that when I bought the CD, as the only track I'd heard was That'll be Christmas (a bitter-sweet number).  One of the books I suggested to my mother last year when she was asking what I'd like for Christmas was Louis Macneice's Autumn Journal.  What are the chances of that?

Have a very nice day, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment