Wednesday 2 November 2011

final thoughts on leaf mould

Despite the warmth, I spotted another sign that the garden is sliding into winter, with the first flowers on the Viburnum x bodnantense 'Charles Lamont'.  I must find out who he was sometime.  His flowers are said by Hilliers to be a clearer shade of pink than 'Dawn'.

In Tesco I was dismayed to discover that it is now the Christmas season.  For goodness sake, we haven't had bonfire night yet.  Though it seems to me that bonfire night is not what it was, and is being overtaken by Halloween.  Maybe the retailers see more opportunities in the latter.  Apart from maybe waving around a battery powered sparkler substitute and having glowing antennae on your head, there isn't a tradition of dressing up for bonfire night like they are succeeding in developing for Halloween.  I have done no Christmas preparations at all, apart from ordering one present for one person which I tagged on to an order I was placing anyway with the company concerned.  Since the person occassionally reads Cardunculus that is enough on that subject.

The pile of last year's dead leaves turned out to be much better decomposed and useful under the top crusty layer than I was expecting, and I was able to take three barrow loads to spread on the borders.  It is amazing how a pile of leaves a good metre high has shrunk a year later to no more than 10cm to 15cm of leaf mould.  The leaf bin has now been declared ready to receive this year's leaves, and I am trying to persuade the Systems Administrator that offerings of leaves will be gratefully received and make me very happy.  We do have a leaf blower and vacuum machine somewhere, which chops as it sucks.  In general I'm in favour of keeping the use of powered machinery to a minimum, but collecting leaves might entertain the S.A. more if it involves the use of equipment other than a rake.  I have been looking covetously at the leaves under the avenue of limes on the way on to the farm, that belong to the lettuce farmer, and wondering whether if I see him I should ask if I could have them, but the S.A. said that would be silly when I had lots of leaves of my own.  But you need lots of leaves.  Look at the way that last year's reduced to practically nothing.

And that's all there is, due to lack of forward planning.  My parents are arriving for supper in twenty minutes and I have suddenly remembered that I have to make the custard.  Custard is not very glamorous, but my dad likes it, and as he is supposed to be on a low fat diet it's better than cream with pudding.  Pudding is apple crumble with home grown apples.  I pre-cooked them before adding the topping, to avoid that thing where the crumble is going brown and the fruit within is still crunchy.  Just as well I did, they took ages.  I think the stew has curdled.  Should have taken up the S.A.'s kind offer to do a roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment