Sunday 3 April 2011

other people's conversations

Walking back to my car after an afternoon concert in a local church, I passed a couple admiring some flowers in one of the front gardens, and asking each other what they were called.  Since neither seemed to know, I paused briefly and told them they were leucojums.  Then I worried that I shouldn't have butted in and apologised that I couldn't help overhearing, but they thanked me and seemed genuinely pleased to know.

It reminded me of a time a while back when I was shopping in the branch of Tesco in Colchester nearest to the university.  A couple of young men of east Asian appearance were debating something, and just as I walked behind them one demanded of the other 'who wrote The Art of War'?  Into the silence that followed I murmered 'Sun Tzu'.  Without turning, the speaker answered his own question 'Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War', and the debate continued.  I wandered on by.  I still don't know if he even registered that a passing stranger had spoken to tell him the anwer, or if he thought it had popped up out of his own memory.

I should be careful.  One of these days I will get told off for interfering.

No comments:

Post a Comment